Feel Good, Look Great! -- Notes On
Lead and Follow
by Tom Hicks
- Man has 3 dance features to control while leading.
- Man's lead suggests (indicates) the direction Lady should
follow, but ultimately she dances the movement on her own.
- Tips for better leading
- Lady never moves or turns herself; she creates power to
prepare for movement but waits for Man's indication.
- Man's arm and hands do not move a Lady; they move with
the Lady through movement of his spine.
- Always be sure Lady is completely balanced over her own
- Man talks with Lady through his body; Lady listens to Man
through the contact with his body.
- Feel a strong connection from Man's right hip that is
felt all the way to the Lady's head.
- Rule for leading (and life) Man suggests (indicates) the
lead, Lady dances the movement, then Man follows.
- Men allow Ladies the freedom to continue body & head
movement through extension until the Man indicates a new shape or
- Man's job is to communicate in both open & closed
- Tone and Connection
- Compression and Resistance (Push and Pull)
- 2. Four different types of leads
- a) Physical Lead—the increase/decrease of pressure
through a connection with the arm or hand position
- b) Body lead—the increase/decrease of pressure through
the connection with a closed body position
- c) Weight Change—the change of direction and shift of
weight in movement
- d) Visual lead—the movement of an action done without
hands while the partner follows
Do you want to just learn the steps, or do you want to FEEL GOOD and
LOOK GREAT. It is a never-ending process of exercising these
principles, practice, and lessons, and this is a good thing, because it
is fun, and it really does feel good.
notes prepared for the RAL Convention, 2018,
in the Dixie Round Dance Council (DRDC)
Newsletter, February 2020.